Charities must operate in one of the most advanced legal and regulatory regimes, with significant legal, governance, accounting and reporting obligations.
At Burton Sweet, we specialise in working with charity sector organisations, offering a breadth of services and support unique amongst our competitors. Our Charities and Civil Societies Team was founded 25 years ago and is proud to serve over 170 clients, whose varied size, location and activities represent the fantastic diversity and vibrancy of the sector.
What can we do for you?
Burton Sweet is committed to supporting charities, not-for-profit and civil society organisations, so they can navigate their pressures and focus on the core purposes they were set up to pursue. A number of our staff are trustees or volunteers, meaning they have first-hand experience and understand the practical complexities of running a charity.
We run networking and training events for our clients, so they feel confident and up-to-date with the latest developments.
- CIOs (Charitable Incorporated Organisations)
- Companies limited by guarantee
- Members’ associations
- Social enterprise organisations
- Civil society organisations
- CICs (Community Interest Companies)
Faith sector organisations
Faith-based charities have particular needs and challenges to navigate good governance, enact their mission and tell their story.
Burton Sweet have a close affinity to faith organisations. Our founders were people of faith and that ethos has gone on to impact the way the firm functions and develops. We speak the language and understand the specific challenges that boards face, as they seek to help their beneficiaries in a way that honours their faith.
1. The Charity Governance Code – This Code is a practical tool to help charities and their trustees develop high standards of governance.
2. Charities SORP – This SORP provides guidance for charities on how to apply the Financial Reporting Standard. It is important for preparers of accounts in making the required disclosures.
3. The Charity Commission – The government resource that holds information for and about charitable organisations in the England and Wales.